A gift for you on this, my 29th birthday and the 6th anniversary of AGB. 4 records of totally bitchin Indian jams. All 4 are included in the download link below. There’s also a couple other supreme Indian records I’ve posted in the past, Chatur Lal’s The Drums Of India, his collaboration with Ali Akbar Khan, The Music Of India: Morning & Evening Ragas, and there’s an Indian record included in the massive Lomax collection The Columbia World Library Of Folk & Primitive Music.
Posts Tagged ‘free’
This is kind of the companion record to Nat Freedland’s book of the same name. An amazing 2xLP of interviews with leaders in various occult fields, from witchcraft to magic to ESP to Satanism. Rosemary Brown channels dead composers and Anton LeVey talks about how Satanism is more about life than death. Tons of awesome material, hearing these people speak about their experiences is pretty fucking cool. There’s also a couple of killer tracks at the end by Black Widow, the British cult rockers that never made it as big as Sabbath. It comes with a full size attached booklet (that was too difficult to scan, sorry) so definitely pick this up if you ever find a copy. Plus that artwork by Wilfried Satty is fucking incredible.
There’s a rip of this record on the Internet Archive (that has more details on this if you’re interested). Normally I’d just leave it at that but the copy that was ripped for IA was in rough shape. Mine sounds great, very clean, so if you’ve already downloaded it from there, I recommend replacing it with my version.
5 years ago today, Anti-Gravity Bunny debuted. Since then, I’ve discovered & befriended more insanely talented artists than I even knew existed. These 16 were kind enough to contribute an original piece of music for this celebratory compilation. The artists here span the full 5 years, from my first nerdy drone obsession with Ophibre to 2012’s drone record of the year champ Superstorms. Each & every track is a fucking triumph. If there’s anyone on here you don’t recognize, I implore you to check out their catalog. These guys have literally put out the best fucking records I’ve ever heard and if they’re not sold out yet, buy ’em all.
You’re All The Fucking Best is a free digital release with exclusive & unreleased music. As is most things on AGB, this is 100% killer drones. Share it with everyone who cares about sound. If you feel like burning it to CD (or rather, two CDs) the appropriate break point is between tracks 12 and 13. Zurvan closes disc 1, High Aura’d kicks off disc 2.
The artwork up there is courtesy of my lady Elise Towle Snow.
I can’t thank you all enough for making Anti-Gravity Bunny worthwhile. This is an accomplishment on every level. You’re the fucking best.
1. Ophibre – The Crystal Dulcimer Part I
2. Andrew Weathers – Ain’t No Snow In California
3. Aquarelle – The Thread That Pulls The Hole
4. Superstorms – Balconing
5. Mike Shiflet – Mid-Winter Waltz
6. Benoît Pioulard – Pleas
7. Howard Stelzer – American Music (Part I: Over)
8. Howard Stelzer – American Music (Part II: Preserve)
9. Howard Stelzer – American Music (Part III: Where We Sleep)
10. Howard Stelzer – American Music (Part IV: Song)
11. Lawrence English – On Hold
12. Zurvan – Praevidentia
13. High Aura’d – Hodge’s Lament
14. Planning For Burial – In The Water That Washes Onto the Shore
15. Millipede – Lost Izalith
16. Brendan Murray – My Jam Back In The Day Was Justin Snow For President
17. Brandon Nickell – Shalimar’s Master Is A Scorpion
18. Nicholas Szczepanik – What Remains Of The River
19. Kyle Bobby Dunn – Psaume De Peut-Être
This is the best fucking thing right here. Banjos & fiddles, ballads & stories, all from one West Virginian family. Alan Jabbour & Carl Fleischhauer just went to the Hammons family’s home, asked all the right questions, and pointed the mic in all the right directions. Truly excellent display of old American traditions. The highlight is Maggie’s songs, and luckily she’s featured pretty prominently, because her voice is otherworldy. She’s also nearly incomprehensible with the thickest West Virginian accent you could imagine. I’m definitely a sucker for this kind of thing but this collection is on another level.
The 2xLP box came with a huge booklet that has tons of photos & liner notes, and the Library Of Congress has published it as an updated PDF, which saved me the trouble of scanning the whole booklet. Also, while this is out of print via Rounder (who reissued it on CD in 1998 along with another Hammons collection of their own), I think it’s possible you can obtain a physical copy on demand from LoC on either CD-R or tape (like the Folkways stuff). The site seems dated, they say some of their titles might not be available on demand, and you have to mail a letter or call them to find out. So, jumping through all those hoops is definitely worthwhile for this album but I thought I’d give you a headstart. Enjoy.
This is the third installment of Black (Metal) Mixmas. The “Metal” is in parentheses because I hoped to make the Black Mixmas/Black Christmas pun a tad more obvious and because this isn’t entirely black metal. There’s some black doom, black noise, black ambient, etc. But it’s primarily black metal so don’t lose your shit if you’re a purist.
Speaking of which, this here’s a three parter, and each part has its own aesthetic. Part I starts off with your more straightforward black metal. It’s still raw and brootal and super awesome, just not too many bells & whistles. Part II gets a bit more melodic and moves towards some of that shoegazey post-etc stuff. Part III (my personal favorite) gets totally fucked up and brings in the twisted shit, extra raw, extra noisy, extra extraordinary. Each part stands on its own as a killer mix but back to back to back they make the biggest most badass black metal adventure you’ve ever been on.
As with everything else on this site, I tend to give priority to the under-represented and pass over the more high profile bands. That means as amazing as Ash Borer and Panopticon are, they don’t need to be here. But tons of awesome blackened shit came out this year that wasn’t on Profound Lore and in fact is available for free/name your price downloads on Bandcamp. I linked to all the ones I knew about but dig around and you might find some more. Also, everything on this mix (except Esequiem’s track) came out in 2012, so consider this the unofficial AGB Best Of Black Metal list.
I’m taking an AGB vacation for the holidays starting now. If I’m not back before the new year, I’ll be back after the new year. These 3+ hours of depravity should keep you sane until then.
1. Aven – The Last Thought Of Judas
2. Kaevum – La Mitt Rike Komme
3. WORT – plumplestiltskib (download)
4. Mgła – With Hearts Toward None V
5. Pendulum – Le Verre
6. Klor – Helmet Overgrown With Weeds
7. Alkerdeel – Horsesaw
8. Larvae – Cold Dead Face (download)
9. Jute Gyte – The Cry Essaying The Waters (download)
10. Lucifugum – Щелочь антинатализма
11. Obolus – Desolation (download)
12. Permafrost – Ende
13. Esequiem – An Old Castle In The Fog
1. Vattnet Viskar – Weakness
2. Aegrotum – Thy Perdition Manifest
3. El-Ahrairah – Drown Alone
4. Loss Of Self – The Mind; It’s Form And Function (download)
5. FIN – Insignia (download)
6. Aisuragua – A Mirror Reflecting The Silence
7. Ragana – Burning Structures (download)
8. Rhinocervs – Untitled (track 1 from RH-12)
9. Hordes – The Darkest Conjuration (download)
10. Infinitas – Immerwährende Nächte
11. Daughters Of Sophia – III: Black Sun Enlightment
12. Seirom – Strands Of Golden Light
1. Sutekh Hexen – Lead Us In Warfare
2. Mhönos – Ex Nihilo… Ad Nihilum…
3. Funeral Depression – Visions Of Broken Life
4. Misery – Sous L’égide Des Martyrs (download)
5. Gates – Forest Passageway, Hallway to the Void
6. OEDE – 8063 (download)
7. Затухание – зора утихает (download)
8. Dead Times & TRTRKMMR – An Appendectomy
9. Trepaneringsritualen – All Hail The Black Flame
10. Cloak Of Altering – Ancient Paths Through Timeless Voids
11. Immaculate Paragon Of Insanity – Invaders From Darkness
12. Venowl – Hung Alive By The Ribs To A Gallows
Technical Note: Затухание’s whole album is way loud, like, louder than anything else on this mix. I tried to tone it down in Audacity but I’m not totally sure how that worked out. So just beware. When that track comes on, you might shit yourself.
Download Robert Frost Reads His Poetry
The master himself reading his own poetry, recorded in the comfort of his home in Cambridge the Spring of ’56. A fantastic choice of poems, most poignantly philosophical, read in the bleak & honest manner that only comes from living eighty years. I’ve posted “The Witch Of Coös” for streaming/download on its own because 1: it’s fucking awesome and 2: it’s Halloween times. Also, once I realized Frost sounds like Ice King, I fell head over heals.
Another killer mix for you fatheads. Anything with a pulse that came out this year has been tossed into a blender and out spat Dino Kingdom, jamming everything from R.A.P. to R.I.P. Pump this sexy beast at your next block party and you’ll be the summer hero.
Download Dino Kingdom
1. NHK’Koyxeи – 530
2. Death Grips – Fuck That
3. tAz Arnold – jimmy
4. Action Bronson – Thug Love Story 2012
5. MondreM.A.N. – Fancy (Yalls Peer Pressure Remix)
6. El-P – The Jig Is Up
7. Boy Fruit – Tits & Tacos
8. Killer Mike – Southern Fried
9. Big K.R.I.T. – Temptation
10. Moth Vegas – Cloud Forest
11. Alphabets – Raptor Signal. Cut Tha Haunters
12. Actress – Marble Plexus
This is some old school awesomeness right here. Found this mono gem in the new bin at my favorite local record store in all its hard psych glory. Songs in Greek, Turkish, and Arabic (with an English “Miserlou” cover thrown in to tip it over the edge), blazing hot guitars with that sweet Middle Eastern twang, killer ’60s acid rock jams and noodley traditional charmers, totally weird, way ahead of its time. 100% great, especially the B-side opener “Shiseler” which is just too fucking cool.
And if you’ve never heard of them, this is probably why (taken from Wikipedia): “Unfortunately for The Devil’s Anvil, their album was released during escalating tensions between Israel and neighboring Arab countries and the Six Day War, or the Arab-Israeli War, in 1967. Subsequently, radio stations would not touch the album because of its controversial sound.”
Here it is, the official “thank you for being so fucking awesome” fundraiser mix. Donators got this one early, but now I share it with the rest of the world. This is mostly new stuff. In fact, with the exception of the opener, I think every track came out within the past year or so. There’s a decent variety of styles, but nothing too out of the ordinary. I hope it’s everything you wished for in a new AGB mix.
Download You’re Too Kind
1. The North Sea – We Salute The Sandblasted Turrets
2. Hey Mother Death – Desert Of Trees And Water
3. Michael Vallera – Gone
4. Dweller On The Threshold – The Woods: Electric
5. Appalache – F.A. 1999
6. Ancient Ocean – Seneca
7. Fushitsusha – Chuushin No Ketsui II
8. Eli Keszler – Bowed Crotales, Snare Drum
9. James Blackshaw – A Momentary Taste Of Being
10. Millipede – Heart Container
11. Mike Shiflet – (Exile) (Extended)
12. Perispirit – Attn: Deficit Order (Part 2)
13. Mark Lorenz Kysela – Hoefn
14. Aufgehoben – Interruhig
15. Nuojuva – Ahovieret
This is the first official reward that is a direct result of the fundraising successes. I promised more mixes and more old weird records, and this falls firmly into the latter. Very cool record that’s essentially a collage of the sounds leading up to and contributing to “The Space Age” (mostly ’50s & early ’60s). There’s a lengthy list of sounds on the back of the jacket (a scan of it is included in the download) including “heartbeat of the dog, Laika, in Sputnik II,” “blast furnace warning whistle,” “Model ‘A’ Ford,” “atom bomb,” “electronic digital computer programmed to play music,” “bowling ball,” “Adolf Hitler,” “multi-frequency telephone tones,” “Air raid – London,” “test firing of various rockets and missiles,” “Alan Shepard during re-entry of space capsule, Freedom 7” and tons of other shit. Fun stuff. Whoever compiled this must’ve had a fucking blast.
Total fucking annihilation. Just one dude bringing the whole world down. This is short (about 10 minutes) but free, and is probably the biggest bang for your buck you’ll get all week. This is some of the best black metal noise on the market, flecked with grind & doom and caked in filth. This is so blown out, the sound actually drops out, moments when its burning in the red and it’s just static crackle. The vocals are almost indistinguishable from anything else, the instruments non-existent, everything is a crumbling mess of noise exploding from your speakers, a raw necro wasteland from the depths of a desert hell, burnt, charred, and scarred, nothing as brutal as this. Unbelievably awesome. He’s posted a bunch of his albums for free on Bandcamp, ranging from black ambient to… this nightmare inducing acid bath. So get the fuck over there and support this madman.